Thursday, July 21, 2011

God and Suffering

I've been working on my sermon for this Sunday based on Romans 8:26-39.  Verse 28 has that wonderful promise, "We know that God works all things together for good for the ones who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose."  I can't help thinking as I read that list in verse 38-39 (...neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.) that suffering in our lives never means God does not love us.  Nevertheless, many well-meaning Christians seem to offer this view perhaps unintentially. 

It happens when we are around people who have just suffered some calamity by saying things like, "It's all in God's plan." or "God has a reason for everything."   I simply do not believe it is God's will for babies to die, people to starve, etc.  What I do believe is that we live in a fallen world with sickness and disease.  God's promise is that he will be with us in the midst of the suffering.  This is what brings me hope and comfort.  Therefore, I, like Paul, have learned to satified with whatever my circumstances may be because God is with me by the power of the Holy Spirit. 

I wonder how you feel about this subject.  Please comment and let me know your thoughts.  You have to register as a user and log in to leave comments. 

2 comments:

  1. You hit it on the head.....That God is with us always no matter what the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do have hope and comfort in this scripture as well. I loved the sermon on Sunday. It really spoke to me. I guess I havent had what you would call a "serious" suffering issue yet. I know that it is coming....I just pray that I will react to the suffering as I am supposed to. That I really will rely on Gods promise. I suppose it is human nature to want to place "blame" somewhere or on somebody. I just don't think that I would ever blame God. It is true-we are in a fallen, sinning world. It just is and things do just happen. Especially death. I know that we will only be our true selves and away from it all when we are meeting with Jesus face to face. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete